— Dan Roche (@RochieWBZ) February 22, 2016
Papi arrives! (video and image courtesy of Dan Roche, WBZ)
1. Its hard to believe that David Ortiz showed up for his last spring training as a member of the Red Sox. It feels as if he’s been with the team for 20 years. It’ll be weird next year when he doesn’t show up although I’m guessing he’ll be a guest instructor.
2. Dustin Pedroia also showed up today. Its simple with Pedroia. He needs to stay healthy. The Red Sox season will go as his health goes.
3. Sandoval’s weight is an issue. I know some members of the local media don’t want to beat the dead horse but he’s getting paid $19 million dollars a year. Coming into camp out of shape is unacceptable!
4. You haven’t heard much about him but lefty Roenis Elias could be a key for the Red Sox pitching staff. The Red Sox got Elias in the Wade Miley deal with the Mariners this off-season. Elias can start or be a long reliever. With Joe Kelly still a no show in camp, Elias has a real chance to carve a niche for himself on the Red Sox pitching staff.
5. Mark my words. Chris Young will be an everyday player for the Red Sox. He won’t just start against lefties. I think he’ll be the everyday right fielder. You heard it here first.