Game Rewind: The Patriots survived a late rally by the Texans beating them 27-20 at Gillette Stadium. The Patriots got off to a fast start thanks to the Texans fumbling the opening snap of the game. After scoring on their second possession of the game, the Patriots took control of the game and never looked back. Here are five thoughts on the game.
1. Brady and Gronk On the Same Page: So much for Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski being rusty after missing OTA’s this past spring. The duo made quite the statement in this game. Brady looked to Gronk early and often. The two already look like they are in mid-season form which is scary for the rest of the league.
2. The Return of Rex: Rex Burkhead got the start at running back and looked good rushing for 64 yards on 18 carries. That only adds up to 3.6 yards per carry but considering Burkhead was out most of the pre-season, the Patriots will take it. Especially with Jeremy Hill getting hurt and being out for the season.
3. Consistent Pass Rush: The Patriots were able to get consistent pressure on DeShaun Watson and make life tough for him in the pocket. If the Patriots defensive line can do this on a consistent basis, the Patriots defense has the potential to be very good this season.
4. Phillip The Great: Phillip Dorsett has his best game as a Patriot catching 7 passes for 66 yards and a touchdown. The Patriots have been patiently waiting for Dorsett to come around and he might just reward their patience moving forward.
5. A Win A Win: After a strong start, the Patriots took their foot off the gas and allowed the Texans to get back into the game. That being said, a win is a win but the Patriots have a lot to work on as they prepare for the Jaguars this Sunday.