The Patriots return home to host a depleted New York Giants team on Thursday Night Football. The conditions at Foxboro are expected to be cold, wet windy and blustery. Not exactly an ideal night to throw the football.
Here are five thoughts on the game.
1. Deal with the wind: The wind will be a factor in this game. It will impact the passing game and the kicking game. Look for the Patriots to use more three step passes, play action and perimeter screens to move the ball early.
2. Chuck it! As I mentioned, the wind will be a factor. Despite that, the Patriots need to come out and throw the football. The Giants are ranked 30th in total defense and are 30th against the pass giving up 279.4 yards per game. Chuck it! Come out and throw the ball early and often.
3. Give Jones different looks defensively: Rookie quarterbacks are 0-11 at Gillette Stadium against a Bill Belichick defense. Look for the Patriots to give Jones a variety of fronts, pressures and coverages to confuse him.
4. Limit the mistakes: The depleted Giants are not that good. The only way they can win this game is if the Patriots turn the ball over and make mistakes. If the Patriots limit the mistakes, the Patriots should be fine.
5. Pass pro: The Giants defense has struggled but the one thing they have done is get pressure on opposing quarterbacks. The Patriots offensive line conversely has struggled. Pass protection will be key. The Patriots offensive line must give Brady time.
Final score: Patriots 31 Giants 14: The Giants are depleted but they are well coached so they will find a way to move the ball and score some points. It won’t be enough however as the Patriots win this game and take care of business.