King Philip and Mansfield renew one of the state’s best rivalries this weekend.
It is sectional semi-final time and there are some great match ups this weekend. Before we break those down, here is our top 25.
1. Catholic Memorial (8-0): Thanksgiving rival B.C High visits West Roxbury in round two of the playoffs.
2. St. John’s Prep (7-1): Eagles face an Andover team that can score. Prep’s defense will be challenged.
3. Central Catholic (7-1): Everett is next up for the Raiders on the road to Gillette. Expect another great game between these two playoff rivals.
4. Everett (7-1): The Tide can prove they are a legit contender in D1 with a win over Central Catholic.
5. Mansfield (7-1): Playoff nemesis King Philip visits Alumni Field. The Hornets will be looking to exact some playoff revenge.
6. Natick (8-0): The Redhawks drop a spot this week. With quarterback Will Lederman out for the year, Natick will have its hands full with Wellesley.
7. Springfield Central (6-2): The Golden Eagles are on a collision course with St. John’s Shrewsbury.
8. King Philip (7-1): The Warriors dismantled Barnstable 34-6 and earned a trip to Mansfield to face their long time playoff rival.
9. St. John’s Shrewsbury (6-2): The Pioneers are rolling after a big win over Wachusett last week.
10. Canton (8-0): Bulldogs face a tough test against a Foxboro team that they hung on to beat 26-20 during the regular season.
11. Melrose (8-0): The Red Raiders keep rolling along after beating Burlington in round one.
12. Tewksbury (7-1): Tewksbury won a tough opening round game against Lynn English to advance.
13. Revere (8-0): The Patriots keep proving they are legit. A well coached Wayland team is up next.
14. Danvers (8-0): The Falcons needed to prove that they are one of the best teams in the North by winning in the playoffs. They did that in round one.
15. Wellesley (7-1): The Raiders get another shot at Natick after throttling New Bedford 42-20.
16. Milton (8-0): Coach Dembowski told me he’d prefer if I didn’t rank his Wildcats. Sorry coach.
17. Wachusett (7-1): Mountaineers are still a threat in Central Mass even after losing a close game to St. John’s.
18. Reading (7-1): Rockets aren’t getting enough pub as a D2 team to beat. They should.
19. Ashland (8-0): The Clockers squeaked by EB but have a tough test this week at Rockland.
20. Duxbury (6-2): Dragons still the team to beat in D3 and they’ll get to prove that with a game against Stoughton this week.
21. Doherty (7-1): Highlanders lost a shoot out to Shepherd Hill this week and play St. John’s to open the playoffs.
22. Stoughton (7-1): The Black Knights are good. We will find out just how good when they visit Duxbury.
23. Concord Carlisle (8-0): I’m told the Patriots should be ranked higher. I’m working on it.
24. Holliston (7-1): The Panthers could be on a collision course with Canton in D5 South. We’ll see.
25. Brockton (5-3): The Boxers head to Franklin for the second straight year to face an explosive Panther team.