Line: Boston College -14.5
Opening Kickoff: Boston College and Syracuse began series play in 1924 as the Orangemen shutout the Eagles 10-0.
The two programs will meet for the 54th time on Saturday. Syracuse leads the all-time series 32-21, including a 20-8 record at the Carrier Dome.
B.C beat Syracuse at the Carrier Dome last season 58-27. That is the most lopsided victory in the series history for the Eagles.
The Eagles are 4-4 against the Orangemen in ACC play. As members of the BIG EAST, Boston College was 5-7 against the Orange.
The Eagles will look at bounce back after almost upsetting Clemson last season. The bid fell short as the Eagles lost 34-28. Syracuse lost to Wake Forest 38-17.
Here are three offensive and defensive keys for the Eagles.
3 Offensive Keys
1. Keep chucking it: The Eagles passing game has been their bread and despite Syracuse’s issues stopping the run, I would come out and throw and force them to have to play more coverage and a lighter box.
The rank 29th nationally in passing offense, averaging 268.4 yards per game so yeah. Keep chucking it!
2. Balance: B.C should open the game throwing the ball but let’s not forget. Syracuse is 92nd in the country defensively against the run. Featuring David Bailey and Travis Levy as well shouldn’t be an issue. The more balanced the Eagles are offensively down the stretch, the better.
3. Four quarter effort: The Eagles played great on offense last week for a half. They need a more consistent effort offensively. They must play well for four quarters today. As good as they have been this season, they haven’t put together a four quarter effort.
3 Defensive Keys
1. Pressure on Culpepper: The Eagles must get consistent pressure on Syracuse quarterback Rex Culpepper and force him out of the pocket. That is where the young signal caller has made a lot of his mistakes this season.
2. Get them in long downs: The Syracuse offense has struggled this season, averaging only 19 points per game. It is imperative that the Eagles win on first down and get Syracuse into second and long and third and long situations.
3. Play better: The Eagles defense has been much better this season than they were last season but they do have a tendency of not playing well, especially early in games. Last week was the opposite, they played great in the first half and struggled in the second half. They need to put together a four quarter effort this week. This is the perfect opponent to do that against.
Final Prediction: Boston College 42 Syracuse 17: The Eagles need a bounce back game before next week’s show down against Notre Dame. Syracuse is the perfect elixir to make a team feel better after a tough loss. B.C should take care of business today and get back on track.